Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What I Learned in Houston

After spending three months in Houston, I realized I learned a few things:
#1 - Driving in Houston really is NASCAR for the masses. Houston drivers are aggressive and in a big hurry to get where they're going. I was talking with a sweet little old lady (a Houston native) at Fallbrook RV Resort and she pointed to her brand new shiny F-250 and said, "I figure I'm bigger and people will just get out of my way."  Yep, that about sums it up.

#2 - You can't see the stars at night. The city is too big and produces so much ambient light that it never gets really dark enough for the stars to show.

#3 - There is a lot of bird life in Houston. I observed that Killdeer are nocturnal and are very noisy at night. Grackles in Texas are big and beautiful; they seem to reside in parking lots, feeding off  dropped french fries and squawking from the roof-racks of parked cars. Texans ignore them. Hawks are very abundant: while driving around Houston, I saw many hawks perched in treetops along the side of busy roads. I'm not very good at identifying types of hawks, but I'd guess them to be Redtails.

#4 - There are some beautiful sunrises and sunsets over Houston... although it's possible the smog may cause some of the pretty colors and patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment