Thursday, October 16, 2014

Magnets and Norcold Refrigerators

While we were staying at Manatee Cove Campground (Patrick Air Force Base),  it started raining one afternoon. If you've ever spent time in Florida, you know the rain comes down with a vengeance! After a couple hours of this downpour, I noticed our Norcold refrigerator was no longer working. By this time, it was after 7PM.

I verified that power was running, etc., and then checked the outside compartment. This is when I noticed an LED was illuminated on the Norcold  high temperature sensor retrofit, which is intended to prevent fires (it does not).

LED on Retrofit box
After doing some research, I learned this is a common problem. That is, moisture can trigger an error state in the retrofit box, and shut down the 12VDC power to the refrigerator. Regardless of whether the refrigerator is running in the LP or the AC mode, 12VDC must be available for the system to work.

Fortunately, the error can usually be cleared by holding a strong magnet on the retrofit box, to the right of the LED. After 10-30 seconds, the magnet will cause the circuit board relay to reset and clear the error.

But I did not have a magnet and the one I borrowed from a neighbor was not strong enough. So I made a jumper to bypass the retrofit box and get us through the night. This was only a very short term fix, and I do NOT recommend this approach. If a fire does start, the insurance company would likely deny the claim because the Norcold retrofit was bypassed.

The following afternoon, after getting back from boating with our friends, I went to the nearest Ace Hardware and got a magnet. Worked like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment